Key Stage 3 Curriculum
We believe that Key Stage 3 is a crucial stage in a student’s education; it provides an opportunity to develop deep and powerful knowledge in a wide range of subject areas which, in many cases, will not have been studied previously at primary school.
Rich and Diverse
Our Key Stage 3 courses are designed to develop a rich and diverse knowledge base from which to form coherent viewpoints and arguments, and to develop understanding of ever-more complex subject matter; to provide opportunities to experience cultural, educational and sporting experiences both inside the classroom and beyond; and to develop a love of learning which will become embedded into our students’ approaches to education at Key Stage 4 and beyond.
Ultimately, we want students progressing from Key Stage 3 with self-confidence, excited about their own education, and having developed resilience, independence, and great aspiration for the future.
Our Key Stage 3 curriculum will:
- Meet the needs of all learners, irrespective of starting point or ability
- Provide challenge for all students
- Expect students to engage in their own learning and academic progress
- Prepare students with the knowledge and skills for success at Key Stage 4 and beyond
- Develop the wider skills for success in life such as self-belief, resilience and a can-do attitude
- Help to raise students’ aspirations
- Foster inquisitive, imaginative learners
- Develop literacy through a key focus on reading
- Celebrate success
We achieve these aims through the provision of a broad, balanced curriculum with a particular focus on developing students’ skills in literacy and numeracy. Our curriculum consists of:
The Entitlement Curriculum (Years 7 and 8)
All students study all subject areas:
English, Maths, Science, Geography, History, RS, French, PE, Design, Art, Drama, Music, and PSHE / Learning to Learn
The Focused Curriculum (Year 9)
Students are given options to study some subjects in greater depth:
- Two Creative Arts / Design subjects
- Two Design subjects
- ICT and / or Spanish
The statutory aims of the National Curriculum at Key Stage 3 are met in all subject areas.
Who to contact
If you have any questions about Key Stage 3, please contact Mrs Hill, Deputy Headteacher, Head of Key Stage 3