A welcome message from Mrs Edwards, Headteacher at Kingdown School.
I hope everyone has had a good break and is ready for the return to school.
The new uniform looks extremely smart. Thank you to all parents for your support in ensuring your son/daughter is wearing the correct uniform.
I am delighted that the 2012 cohort at Kingdown has achieved our best ever GCSE and A level results.
At GCSE, our results of 81% of students achieving 5A*-C grades, 64% including English and Maths is simply outstanding. 23.6% of all grades were at A* or A and excellence was achieved across the board at all levels of ability as 96% of all year 11 students achieved 5 or more nationally recognised qualifications. Many, many students have been particularly successful, they include:
7A*s, 3As, 1B
5A*s, 4As, 1B
Nainasara Thada Magar
5A*s, 4As, 1B
5A*s, 5As, 1B
6A*s, 2As, 3Bs
6A*s, 2As, 3Bs
5A*s, 5As, 1C
4A*s, 6As, 1B
4A*s, 4As, 2Bs
5A*s, 4As, 3Bs
At A level the results are equally outstanding: 28.5% of all grades were at A*/A, 50.5% at A*/A/B and the pass rate is 100%. The vast majority of all our students achieved places on the courses and at the universities of their choice or have moved straight into employment. Individual successes are:
Maths A*, Further Maths A*, Chemistry A, Physics A
Maths A*, Biology A, Chemistry A, Further Maths A
Sociology A*, Health and Social Care A*, Applied Science A
Maths A*, Further Maths A, Biology A
BTEC Sport A*/A, Business Studies A
BTEC Sport A*/A, ICT A, Design Technology B
Art A/A, French A, English Literature B
Biology A, BTEC Sport A/A, Science B
Health and Social Care A, Psychology A, Sociology A
Biology A, Chemistry A, Geography A
Art A/A, Maths A
Chemistry A, Maths A, Physics A
I wish all our leavers every happiness and success as they move on to the next stage of their life, be it University, employment or College.
These are amazing results for a truly comprehensive school and I am immensely proud of all the students. This success is down to the hard work and dedication of the students and staff and the support of the parents.
These results conclude an outstanding year at Kingdown as we also achieved:
- Our highest attendance figure ever – 94%
- The Investors in People Gold Award which is only awarded to the top 2% of all business organisations nationally.
The assessor for Investors in People said that Kingdown was the best school he has ever assessed.
It is great to see that so many students have returned to the Sixth form, alongside a record number of new students who I am delighted to welcome to Kingdown.
A special welcome to all our new staff, they are:
- Mrs Bale – Mathematics
- Mr Cade – Design Technology (Food)
- Miss Cavanna – English
- Mr Clarke – Head of History
- Miss Flack – Design Technology
- Miss Greatorex – History
- Miss Honeysett – English
- Mr Mayhew – Head of Physics
- Miss Peters – Design Technology (Textiles)
- Mr Phelps – English
- Miss Rawlings – English
- Miss Welch – Drama & Music
- Miss Wright – Joint second curriculum leader in ICT
- Mrs Browne – Teaching Assistant (Mathematics)
- Mr Frostick – Teaching Assistant (Art & Design)
- Mrs Thomas – Teaching Assistant (Literacy)
- Mrs Walsh – Teaching Assistant (ICT)Mrs Whitcombe Teaching Assistant
We have an ambitious programme for the year ahead. Some of the targets we will be working on are:
- 66% of year 11 to achieve 5A*-C EM
- 83% of year 11 to achieve 5A*-C
- 98% of year 11 to achieve 5A*-G
- 100% pass rate at A2
- 95% attendance
- To embed a whole school policy to prevent and tackle bullying
- To develop a consistent whole school approach to the teaching of literacy